Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Arroz con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)

Here's my first recipe! Arroz con pollo is a very traditional Mexican dish, and came up a lot in my classes while I was teaching Spanish. I had never tried making it though until a few weeks ago when I pulled out an old Mexican cooking book that I had bought Jim for our first Christmas together when he was on a huge Mexican food kick. I love this recipe because it is made from all natural ingredients, nothing comes from a can, and its super easy to make.

Ingredients
  • 1lb chicken breast
  • 3 tsp olive oil (I always use a little more than that)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup white rice
  • 3 tomatoes, cut in chunks
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp sald
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
Directions
  1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add chicken. Cook chicken until white all over, do not cook through.
  2. Remove chicken and add onions, garlic, and rice in juices. Saute over medium heat until light brown.
  3. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
  4. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
  5. Return chicken to skillet and lower heat.
  6. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender. Add water if needed to keep rice moist.
  7. Serve hot and enjoy!
I've never had to add water to the rice, but just keep an eye on it while it simmers. The end product should be pretty heavy and moist.

Source: Mexican Cooking Made Easy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds Delicious and i can't wait to try it.

Kristina said...

Thanks Ryan! Come visit us and I'll make it! ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin