Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spinach Dip with Baked Pita Chips

Everyone has a small stack of yummy appetizer recipes that they pull out on special occasions like holidays and dinner parties. But I'm willing to bet you don't often think of these same recipes when thinking about what snacks to have in the house during the week. Packaged snack foods are so expensive, and often not very healthy for you. I definitely have my fair share in the house, but when I was going through my recipe file today, trying to pull together my shopping list for the week, this dip and chip combo popped out at me as something that is not only fresh, but healthier too. The thing that surprised me the most was the use of yogurt instead of sour cream, a common substitution from what I've learned. This recipe is virtually fat free, and very very yummy. And the chips are versatile. Once you know how to make them you can use them with any dip, salsa, or spread!

Spinach Dip

Ingredients
  • 10 oz baby spinach (not frozen)
  • 1 cup plain fat free or low fat yogurt, drained of excess water
  • 4 oz fat free cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Directions
  1. Steam spinach until wilted. Rinse in cold water, and squeeze out excess water by hand. Chop finely, and place in a medium bowl.
  2. Stir the yogurt and cream cheese together until smooth. Add to spinach.
  3. Stir in Parmesan, garlic, and lemon juice. Blend thoroughly.
  4. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve. (I like to let it refrigerate for at least 30 minutes)
Makes about 2 cups.

Baked Pita Chips

Directions
  • 6-8 6 inch whole wheat pitas
  • Butter flavored cooking spray
  • Salt (optional)
Ingredients
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cut pitas into 8 wedges and separate layers of each wedge.
  3. Place triangles in a single layer on two greased cookie sheets.
  4. Spray with butter flavored cooking spray and add optional salt.
  5. Bake until crisp, 8-10 minutes. (Keep an eye on them though...every oven is different, and they burn easily!)
I think next time I'll add some artichokes just to spice it all up a bit!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin